I pondered over this for a while, had a look at the aforementioned monstrosities and face-palmed the sh*t out of myself... I had nearly resigned myself to the idea that a higher power (Simon Cowell?) had decided all good music, at some point in its life, was destined to be tainted....destroyed... by messed up, female, blonde pop starlets.
Then I got sense, and started thinking about covers I like. The very first one that popped into my head was Nirvana's version of 'Jesus Don't Want Me for a Sunbeam' by the Vaselines. The V's took the song - an old Christian folk song, which is actually called 'Jesus Wants Me for A Sunbeam' - and re-recorded it under the new title. Cobain wanted to cover that version, so that's what he did. And boy, did he do it well.
See, this is a prime example of the goodness that can come from cover versions... And when I started thinking about this more, let's just say the floodgates opened... (thanks to a few friends for assisting with that via Twitter - I had a field day).
Some of the most superbly composed songs have been covered time and time again, by recognised, accomplished artists who have done (in my opinion) a beautiful job of making a song "their own". Side-note: One of the reasons I'd rather X Factor didn't exist, is that it is diminishing the kudos deserved for a good cover.
So, with all of this, I thought i'd pull together my own list of covers to share with you good people. All 3 of you reading this... Hi mom. Now, this list was long, but i've whittled it down to these few because let's be honest, you don't have all day.
The ones most people will be
familiar with...
Leonard Cohen,
Hallelujah - Jeff
Buckley's version
Nine Inch Nails, Hurt -
Cover by Johnny Cash
The Beatles, With a
Little Help from my Friends - Cover by Joe Cocker
Nina Simone, Feeling
Good - Cover by Muse
Kate Bush, Running up that Hill - Cover by Placebo
Bonnie Raitt, I Can't
Make You Love Me - Cover
by Justin Vernon
Bob Dylan, All
Along The Watchtower - Cover
by Jimi Hendrix
Some others I adore,
which may not be as widely known...
Hank Williams, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry - Cover by Seasick Steve
Ben Harper, Waiting on
an angel - Cover by
Joshua Radin
Tom Petty, I Won't Back
Down - Cover
by Benjamin Leftwich
Tracey Chapman, Fast Car
- Cover by Foy
Vance
Joni Mitchell, A Case of
You - Cover by Diana
Krall
Oasis, Wonderwall - Cover by Ryan Adams
Elliott Smith, Between
The Bars - Cover by
The Civil Wars
Arcade Fire, My Body
is a Cage - Cover by Peter Gabriel
Bob Dylan, My Back Pages
- Cover by The Byrds
Robert Knight, Everlasting Love - Cover by U2
Gerry Rafferty, Baker Street - Cover by Foo Fighters
Here are some covers
I came across thanks to some
friends with excellent taste in and knowledge of, music...
The Rolling Stones, Gimme
Shelter - Cover by Merry Clayton
Bob Dylan, Man In
The Long Black Coat - Cover by Mark Lanegan
Ricky Nelson, Lonesome Town - Cover by Richard Hawley
Bob Dylan, Times They
are a Changin' - Cover by Odetta
Tom Waits, Martha - Cover by Mick Flannery
The Beatles, Twist and Shout - Cover by Shaka Deemus and Pliers
And the beauty of a good
cover..? On the rare occasion, it can actually be an improvement on the original. Evidence of this is right here.
Carly Rae Jepsen, Call
me Maybe - Cover by
Ben Howard
LMFAO, Sexy and I know it - Cover by Jimmy Fallon and Bruce Springsteen
JoJo, Too Little Too Late - Cover by Daniel Rossen of Grizzly Bear
Katy Perry, Hot n' Cold - Cover by Los Colerados
Happy Listening :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment