Saturday, September 22, 2012

Train-a-thon


So, it's Saturday night and I am curled on the couch with Wossy on the box, wrapped up in a lovely knitted blanket that my mom sent over when I moved into my new place last month. It's near 10.30pm and I am quite aware of the fact that I should be going to bed in the next hour if I know what's good for me...

Bed at 11.30? On a Saturday night? Well, yes. With at least 15 miles to run tomorrow, I think a good night of sleep is one of many things I should be considering.

Some of you reading this may be aware (I have pretty much been shouting it from the rooftops - both real and virtual) that in a very short time, I am jetting off to New York City to take part in the NYC Marathon. That's right... i'll be running my not-so-little arse off, through 26.2 miles of the Big Apple.

I am running the marathon in aid a charity that is incredibly close to my heart - The IDEAL School of Manhattan. IDEAL was founded by my Aunt Julia and Uncle John, and its an inclusion school that is dedicated to creating a community that accepts every child from all walks of life, at all levels of ability. It is a school that my little cousin Catherine not only attends, but excels in because of their inclusive attitude to learning and development.

Catherine has Down's Syndrome, and because of the IDEAL School she is given the same opportunities to learn and grow as any other child should. This amazing school will get her and her peers ready for the exciting world that is waiting for them in the most effective of manners.
I've been lucky enough to visit IDEAL on numerous occasions over the years, and every single time, from the moment I walk in through the big beautiful doors of that Brownstone building, I am inspired.
I can't quite get my head around how much I am looking forward to this. On the 4th of November, not even 7 weeks away, i'll wake up to begin a day that I have no doubt i'll remember for the rest of my life. I am both incredibly excited and massively terrified - I'm settling with the fact that this combo is only going to become more extreme as the day draws closer.

"Eeeeek", she says...

The route for the marathon is pretty special. I grew up  being fortunate enough to spend quite a lot of time in New York City (see last blog post) and I have a long-standing love affair with her and everything she has to offer... the good, the bad... the excellent. I have this idea that whilst, yes, running 26.2 is no easy feat, the fact that I am running it in my favourite city in the world, will somehow make it all a lot more doable. 

I've been speaking with colleagues, friends and friends of friends who have either ran the NYC marathon or been in the city when it has taken place, and their feedback is pretty motivating. You know what those Amwuur-ick-ee-aans are like... They'll be out in their droves, cheering like their lives depend on it. I will definitely be taking advantage of the fact that I am Irish, and really milk it...

I've not been a very good blogger of late, it has been a pretty hectic few months. But now that i'm in the home stretch of my training... let's just say i'll have a little more time on my hands on Friday and Saturday nights.

For those of you on Twitter, i've been hashtaging my progress via #twentysixpointtwo. Keep an eye out! Send me some virtual pats on the back, why don't you....

B


No comments:

Post a Comment